Are you aware of the difference between Synthetic vs Wholesome supplements?

The truth is..
If you are currently taking any form of supplements, they are most probably synthetic (i.e. man-made/artificial). But hang on.. didn’t the label say it’s natural? Well.. “natural” just means some percentage (typically 10%) of the supplement pill is derived/extracted from a natural source (e.g. lemon). The remaining 90% of the pill is likely manufactured in a lab to produce a chemical structure identical to the same nutrient occurring in nature.

img_0041

What does your instinct tells you?

img_0105
I am not sure about yours but I definitely prefer the wholesome basket of fruits and vegetables. This also means consuming the fruit/vegetable as a whole instead of extracting out a particular nutrient (e.g. Vitamin A) just because research findings show Vitamin A is good for the eyes. Take for example.. overdose of Vitamin A impact fetal development but have you heard of a pregnant mum having issues with eating too many carrots? Extraction of a nutrient from its original source transforms that nutrient’s biochemical structure. You can read more about it here: http://www.naturalnews.com/032058_synthetic_vitamins_supplements.html

Analogy to illustrate the difference between synthetic and wholesome..

IMG_0147.PNG

When we want to boost our vitamin C level, we think of orange as a natural fruit source. Eating the wholesome orange is good as it contains 100 phytochemicals and fibre too. On the other hand, synthetic vitamin C pill or vitamin C extract represents just one of the many nutrients available in the entire orange. Taking vitamin C pill is like one dismantling the entire car to take just the steering wheel as the steering wheel is perceived to be good since it gives control and direction to the car. However, a steering wheel is useless without the other car parts. Similarly, when a single photochemical is extracted, it may lead to the destruction of other nutrients.

But how do I know what nutrients I am taking for the wholesome supplements?
Have you ever wondered what is the exact nutrient content when you pick up the broccoli in the supermarket? The nutrient content in any of the fruit/vegetable will vary according to region of production etc. But eating fruits and vegetables is good for health as they contain disease-fighting nutrients like antioxidants, phytochemicals and polysaccharides. Nonetheless, different plant food contain different set of nutrients thus they benefit the immune system in different ways. This explains why it is always advisable to eat a wide variety of plant food.

Be a wise consumer!
Start by learning to read the ingredients label. Words like “extract” and “concentrate” reveal that the product is not wholesome and likely synthetic though manufacturers may throw in words like “natural” to entice purchase. Beware that chemicals are used in the process of extraction of a particular nutrient even from a “natural” source. Food safety should be top priority as we are what we eat. The best nutrients are those obtained from wholesome foods which are also more easily absorbed. 

Do feel free to reach out to me if you would like to know more on NI or where to get wholesome health food 🙂

Cheers
YingYing • +65 9199 6825 • yingying@nutritionimmunity.com


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s